12.30.2011

goodbye 2011.

A year's end is always surreal, the feeling of time slipping between your fingers, a mark of time you can look at as a whole. One of the most amazing moments of 2011 for me was being able to see the West Memphis 3 walk out of prison as free men after 18 years. While that ending was far from perfect, I am hopeful that someday soon there will be full exoneration for them.

Spending time with Jason these last few months has been an amazing gift. Being able to spend Christmas with him, watching him learn to drive, carve his first pumpkin ever, jumping in a lake in the middle of the night, or just sitting by the fire and playing with my dog, all these simple things are suddenly amazing.

I try to never forget a lot of things, like how flawed our justice system is, or that Washington state still has the death penalty, or how lucky we all are in the grand scheme of things, and that magic is all around us. But most of all, I try to never forget that I am free.

Happy 2012! I’m going to do my best to learn to be present, and really live in the moment. xo


You can donate to the West Memphis 3 Freedom Fun here.

No comments: